Wednesday, May 21, 2014

An Editing Adventure

In my previous post, I stated I was using Movie Maker to edit my first small video.  Unfortunately, Movie Maker couldn't handle the three to four minute video.  I was able to create and edit it.  But Movie Maker could not export it.  I was sad indeed.

So, while the video was trapped in a PC I began entertaining the idea of finally using iMovie to complete a video.  I'd only played with it a little a few years ago with some footage I recorded for fun.

My first hurdle was formatting (yet again) the video files into mov.  I got that done.  I used a jump drive to transfer all the files to a Mac and imported them into iMovie.

I had to use a search engine to look up how to do some things.  One thing I did not know how to do was add sounds.  It turns out iMovie comes with some nifty sounds that were perfect for my needs.  I also had to look up how to add titles and using transitions.

I think that might be where Movie Maker exposed it's main weakness.  I had a few spots with fades and from some research I found that particular application doesn't like a lot of transitions.  And just so you know, I did try breaking up the movie into smaller and smaller and smaller pieces but that tactic didn't work.

It took a bit of clicking in iMovie to figure out how to select for cutting and trimming.  Moving stuff around proved a bit more difficult than I expected.  But overall I found iMovie pleasant and easy to remember how to use.

One problem I have noticed so far is I did find it impossible to convert the final mov file to any other format.

The biggest thing I learned was I must continue to practice with any application I may use in the future (perhaps even years in the future).  As I ran into obstacle after obstacle while trying to get the video published I was getting a little frantic.  If I'd experienced at least some of the problems with a personal video where I could take my time learning and figuring out how to get things to work I wouldn't have gotten so stressed out.

No comments:

Post a Comment